Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Meds

I've had a busy few days going back and forth with my RE, the pharmacy they tend to use, and pharmacy at the hospital I work at. I don't have any prescription drug coverage through work, but we get a decent discount at the hospital. Monday afternoon, I got a call from the pharmacy the RE uses, saying that my RE had called in the order. For some reason, we hadn't gone over the actual list of meds I'd be using at the RE, so when the lady from the pharmacy started going over the list of meds, I realized I could probably get some of the "normal" meds at work - like Lupron, doxycyclin, Terazol. So I looked them up, and not only can I get them, they are formulary, so I only pay 15% of the wholesale cost. I had to find out from the RE which Lupron it was because there were about 6 or 7 on the list. And she didn't know which one it was for sure, so was going to call me back the next day. Little strange, but we got it all straightened out. So now instead of paying almost $500 for the Lupron, I only have to pay $60! The other two weren't as big a savings, but even bit makes a difference.

DH was also concerned with the amount of Follistim they had ordered for us. It's not a ton, just 3 600U cartridges. But the last IUI I did I only used 330U. I know I'll need more for an IVF, but almost 6 times as much does seem like a lot. So, we're starting with just two vials for now. My IVF nurse explained that they usually started with three because in people that have medication coverage, once they order, they can't order any more. At least that's what she said. But, since we're self pay - we can order more any time that we need it.

So, my meds will be here Friday! (Or at least most of them.) And I'll actually be home because I took the day off to study, so I'll be here to sign for them.

This is totally random, but I'm so glad I'm done with the BCPs. I think they've been making me a little too emotional. Lately, every time I hear the Taylor Swift song "Love Story" I start crying in the last verse. I don't know why. I mean, I like the song, but it's not that sentimental. And it doesn't help that the song is on the radio ALL THE TIME.

4 comments:

  1. BCPs are little hell pills sent straight from Satan's armpits. I hate them.

    So great that you were able to get good discounts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for meds! I'm so excited for you. Wow $60 for lupron, thats awesome! I love that song too by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for meds!! How much did you pay for Follistim?? Just curious. I wish I got some sort of discount like that, the cost of follistim makes me want to scream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Follistim was a pretty aveage cost, I think. It was a little over 900 for the 1200 units. It makes me want to scream, too. I'm just lucky that the hospital carries Lupron as part of their formulary - that's the only reason that I got the discount on that.

    ReplyDelete