Thursday, January 8, 2009

Our Story

I guess I should start with a little bit of our story and our TTC story. DH and I met when we were in high school, dated for a few weeks and broke up. But we stayed friends over the years, and started dating again about six months after we had both moved back home after college. We got married and Oct 2006, and started TTC in May 2007. I've had long, irregular cycles for as long as I can remember, and when our third cycle TTC went past 50 days (with the previous two being just as long) we sought help from my OB/GYN. He did some bloodwork, told us it was normal, and gave us Clomid. We used the Clomid for 3 cycles, and only O'd for one of them. By that point, we made an appointment with a RE. He diagnosed me with PCOS on that first visit in June 08. I had long suspected that I had PCOS, but I don't look like the "typical" PCOS patient, so my doctors always seem to dismiss the idea. He wanted to start us on inj/IUI cycles, but we decided to do a lap first. I didn't have any symptoms of endometriosis, but my mom had had a hysterectomy at 30 years old, and the condition she had was a form of endo. So, with the family history, we decided to look before we started treatments. We had to wait until October for the lap because I had an incredibly busy summer. I was in three weddings, and for two of them I was either the only or one of two bridesmaids - it took up a lot of weekends. I had the lap done, and it did show some endo, including on my ovaries. We moved right onto two inj/IUI cycles. Both were BFN, and both only produced one follicle. With my PCOS, in a way that was a success - only getting one instead of twenty follicles. But, it was a lot of money to spend for a small chance of getting pregnant since our insurance doesn't cover infertility treatment. So, now we're taking a short break and moving onto IVF in feb/march. That's our story!

6 comments:

  1. I hope & pray that your story will have a happy ending ! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. IF SUCKS!!!

    I still can't believe they haven't made the insurance companies cover IF, that is soooo totally not fair. Don't they know how IF affects women??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for making the move over to my new blog with me, I'm so glad you said hi! We "sort of" PCOSers have to stick together, huh? :)

    Congrats on the new blog! I hope you like it as much as I do - it's such a great outlet for dispelling all these emotions that come with IF. It sucks that we even "need" a blog for it, but the support system is fantastic.

    Anyway, enough nattering. Welcome, welcome, welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the IF/ALI blogosphere!

    Best of luck with your IVF cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the IF blog land!! I hope your IVF cycle will be your BFP one :)
    makingmemom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, and welcome! I'm sorry for your struggles so far, and I'm hoping your upcoming IVF cycle is THE one! I'm also doing my first IVF/ICSI in Feb/March...timing the retrieval around March 20th. I'll be reading along!

    Betsy (ItsAZooAroundHere)

    ReplyDelete