Things still look good with the little beans. I had another appointment this morning and they both have grown and are looking good. I did, however, fail my 3 hour glucose tolerance test.
I went for the test last Thursday. It was a rainy morning, so the lab was pretty slow. I was in the waiting room by myself for almost the whole three hours because everyone that came in could go right back. I was a little nervous about drinking the solution. Not so much because of nausea - it was actually pretty good that day. But, I just am not a fast drinker. I sip things, all the time. I rarely get through a 12oz soda over the course of dinner that takes and hour. So, when I had to drink 10oz in 5 minutes, I didn't think I could do it. The lab lady just said do the best I can. I took a straw with me, and got it down in about 10 minutes. It actually tasted pretty good. And I felt pretty good the whole time. Just a little head spinning whenever I stood up to do back to the lab room each time. The only time I felt bad was when I came home and tried to eat. I'm not sure if I just chose the wrong thing, if my stomach was rebelling because it had been empty so long, or if my sugar just crashed while I was eating. I just stopped eating and laid down a bit, and it passed. So, since I felt ok during the test, I was thinking that maybe I passed.
The results weren't too bad. My fasting and 3 hour glucose were well within the limits. But my 1 hour was 8 points over the limit, and the 2 hour was 6 or so over. So with too abnormal limits, I failed. I think the RE isn't quite sure what to do with the results, since they aren't used to dealing with this. They're sending me to a nutritionist, but when I asked if I was going to have to start checking my sugars, they just said they didn't know and the OB usually deals with it.
So for now, I'm just going to avoid excessive sweets - cakes, cookies, ice cream. The ice cream will be the hardest. One of my cravings has been chocolate chip ice cream, and we have a bunch sitting in our freezer.
I have just one more visit with the RE and then I graduate. It's hard to believe that will happen in a little over a week!
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


awww sorry you failed your GTT! That stinks. Hopefully, the nutritionist will be able to help you. ((HUGS)) Glad the beans are doing well.
ReplyDeleteI dont know much about the test that you had to take, but I am sure that the doctors will steer you in the right direction. Did you fail the test because you eat a lot of sugar? If so then I would probably fail that test too! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear the the little beans are doing well and that you graduate soon!! I know that you dont get as spoiled with your GYN as you do with your RE (at least that is what my friend told me) But its a good thing to know that you are on your way to being a Mommy!!! Yeah!! So happy for you.